Ma Bella Vita: Getting in the Calcium

Follow Me on Twitter!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Getting in the Calcium

So while browsing through a health magazine the other day while at the gym I was reading an article about what women should eat in theirs 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s and beyond. So, for girls in their 20s they emphasized the importance of getting at least 1000 mg of calcium per day. Apparently these are the years where we can 'store' the most calcium in our bodies before it becomes a matter of 'maintaining' what we got. (...can’t remember the exact details only remember calcium being highlighted as extremely important for bone health).
So while browsing through Target on my lunch break today I got this:

The chews are tasty (yes I ate two already) but too small and high in calorie content considering size (15 cals per piece). But allegedly this is the #1 selling brand so i guess thats good. I also noticed sugar is not even in the list of ingredients! Coolio! (did I just say that?!). The great thing about these chews is that they include vitamin D which enhances the absorption of calcium, as per my research regarding the matter.

...Anyways, so we had a company-sponsored lunch today due to a meeting we were having (yes.another.meeting.) and this is what I ate:


Some Penne a la vodka, garden salad, lemon chicken, piece of bread—I was starving after that meeting so I really enjoyed this meal.

Plans after work are to hit the gym although I’m super exhausted! I’m just going to unconsciously drive myself there, unconsciously change in to my gym clothes and get through the workout without thinking. If I start thinking I will drive home and straight to my bed. Anyways- I received my February issue (or maybe is the march issue already? Not sure) of Fitness magazine and I usually like to read my magazines while on the treadmill to keep myself motivated. Is that weird?

Hope everyone is having a great day!
PS: Check out the health tip of the day which is on the right side of the screen. I think is the universe way of telling me the gym is my friend and I should go. It says: At times, you will not feel like exercising. If you're just feeling a little tired or low on energy, go ahead and try to complete your routine. The workout will likely boost your energy level and your mood. Thank you universe.

Question: Do you follow the advice given in fitness/health magazines or do you just read and forget?

3 comments:

  1. I kind of read and forget- not gonna lie, but stuff in blogs sinks in more- so thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stand fitness magazines, I won't lie. I used to read them a lot, but now that I am an RD I notice a lot of inconsistencies. One page will say one thing, then the next will say the complete opposite! I do agree that calcium is important for young women though, definitely. But, no sugar on the list? I'd look again. But there has to be corn syrup or something....there's no way it's sugar free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina--you are right. I checked the label and corn syrup is actually the second ingredient on the list! you're good! :). Im sure there are healthier ways to get my calcium in but this seems like a convenient way of doing so without ingesting too many calories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment :)