Ma Bella Vita: Running Races, Building Stamina

Follow Me on Twitter!

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Running Races, Building Stamina


So this past Sunday I had the privilege of participating in one of the best 5Ks I've ever done to date: Tunnel To Towers in New York City. The race is in honor of fire fighter Stephen Siller and the distance covered symbolizes the route this HERO took on 9/11 while trying to help with the towers tragedy. Is a sad story but very inspiring. You can read more about him here.



It was a very emotional race. About 2 miles of it was going under the Battery Tunnel where we ran alongside veterans who had lost their limbs in battle and were running with their prosthetic legs. It was so inspiring and emotional to say the least. once we finally exited the tunnel it got even more emotional as there was a line of current officials (around 1/2 mile long, side by side) holding pictures of the fire fighters that passed away on 9/11 with their names and titles right under each one. I just kept thinking about Stephen Siller's journey and the people that selflessly gave up their lives to help others. I would do the race again. The only thing I didn't like was that this race has no medals at the finish line which I was pretty mad about at first but the route and the emotion of it all made up for it. I also got a certificate at the end which was nice. I plan to frame this:

I finished at about 30 minutes more or less. I had to stop at certain points because of how crowded it got but kept running for the most part.

Pre-Run Photos:







Post Race Photos:




I love that I am getting in to running jogging now. It's something that I used to hate and couldn't do for more than 5-10 minutes when I would use the treadmill at the gym. For the past couple of months I've actually been running/jogging outside on a track that I miraculously found behind my apartment. I always tell people is like God put it there! My apartment complex is HUGE (several miles wide/long) and what are the odds that the official track ended up being right behind me?! seconds away from me! Crazy how life works sometimes. Is the little things in life that make me feel so blessed!

I've been improving my pace and I absolutely love the feeling. Check out my progress below. I started at over 10-12 mins per mile and Im hovering around 9.25 per mile which is a huge accomplishment for me. As I have stated several times on my Instagram account: I am my own motivation; I strive to be better than I was yesterday and use myself as a benchmark. Never compare myself to anyone else and I love how much I have improved: One step at the time!


Follow me on instagram @ Nunezma. :)

Running has also allowed me to build a stronger bond with my sister whose also been training for races. We did the Spartan race back in June (that was pretty insane) and now this one.

My sis and I:


There's another one in a couple of weeks: The Rock N' Roll Marathon series which is coming to New York on 10/13. I still haven't signed up but I'm very close to doing it. Sounds like such a cool race! Only thing is a 10K and that would be my first ~6.4 mile race! I guess there is a first time for everything.

Question: Do you enjoy running/jogging? Have you ever done a 10K? If so, How do you remember your first 10K experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment :)