Ma Bella Vita: November 11th, Reflections on my Grandma.

Follow Me on Twitter!

Sunday, November 11, 2012

November 11th, Reflections on my Grandma.

Hello everyone, Happy sunday!

On this post I want to share something personal to me and somehow pay tribute to my grandma.

Today marks the 1 year anniversary of the death of my grandmother from my mother's side of the family. This lady watched me grow from birth until the age of 27. She left our lives last year during a time which was really difficult for my family and I. Just a month before her death we also lost my father's brother to a heart attack. My grandmother's death was mainly based on her age. She was already in her 90s but I remember her being such a strong person ALWAYS. She was a business women whom raised 12+ children (with the help of my grandpa of course) but the most important thing to note is that she raised all those children in a developing country where crime and delinquents are prevalent. However, her children all grew up to be good hearted people, professionals, people that work hard and stay the course. I look up to her in so many levels.

She owned property all over her town in the Dominican Republic and lived off her property's rent. When she got really sick; my aunts and uncles were able to take care of her with the money she had saved for many years. She had a strong character and spoke her mind and did not care what people thought. She was also an amazing cook. One of the things I would do if I had a chance to turn back time is quit my job and move to the Dominican Republic to make a personal cook book with all her recipes as well as make note of all her life experiences which I surely think would help me in my personal life journey.There are so many traits about her that I wish I had inherited!

Although we werent really "close" in a way of talking every day or always seeing each other (partly because of the distance) I like to think that we were close in a "soul" or "spiritual" level. I loved her so much. I still remember an intance when I was around 10 or 11 years old waking up in the middle of the night crying histerically because I had a dream that she had passed away. My mom consoled me and told me she is strong and she would live many, many years. Which she did. I am thankful that God allowed us to enjoy her for many more years after I had that dream. I have tons of pictures with her from when i was a baby all the way to when I would visit DR every summer. What a phenomenal women she was. I know she is in a better place and for that I am thankful. I hope to reunite with her again one day but in the meantime, I know she is looking down on us.

My parents flew to the Dominican Republic to pay respects for her death (is a latin ritual/tradition). I am glad for facebook as some of my cousins are updtating us on what is happening over there during the course of the day ceremony.

Rest in peace grandma, "Doña Bola" I love you and always think of you. I know you are watching over us always.

 
Pic was taken about 6 years ago during a trip to the Domican Republic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment :)