Ma Bella Vita: July was an Awesome Running Month (plus some news!)

Follow Me on Twitter!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

July was an Awesome Running Month (plus some news!)



First and foremost I have to share last night dinner, which I’ve had two days in a row and made up by accident:




Nothing fancy but so good! (black beans, garbanzo beans and corn mixed with melted part-skim mozzarella on Trader Joe’s ‘brown rice tortilla’ ßmy new obsession plus my usual steamed veggies on the side). I also had a small banana smoothie made w/ almond milk and spinach, not pictured.
So this morning I concluded an ENTIRE month of running every other day! I actually began running every other day in late June (around 6/19, as per my fitness journal). However, I am excited that I was actually able to carry that momentum in to July and finished strong.

I am not a long distance runner by any means and I kinda’ like it that way. My mileage ranged from 2.5 miles to 4.5 miles but mostly stayed at an average of 3 miles or so on most days. On my non-running days during the past month and a half or so I was able to complete a second round of Jillian’s 30 day shred which I finished and now Ive moved on to my beloved Gilad strength training videos for arms, back, abs, and legs. I alternate body parts but have been pretty consistent with the arms and back exercises. I see lil bit of muscle peeking usually post workout. He’s good!

I want to set up new fitness goals for August which I cant believe is just hours away (scary!). I have Jillian’s Ripped in 30 which I purchased a while ago but never finished it. I am considering going through the whole series for the month of august and continue running. I am not sure if I will continue the running every other day thing but now I have to run regardless considering that  last Friday (out of pure randomness) I signed up for this:

 
 
Yup.  My second half marathon! I was going back and forth on whether to do the 5K or the ½ marathon (is like two different extremes!). I really wish the race had a 10K which would have been nice and comfortable but that wasn’t an option. At the end of the day I decided a 5k would be too short so I closed my eyes and clicked the button for the half.
The next day (Saturday) I wanted to cancel it immediately and constantly asked myself what the heck was I thinking the nigh before (I promise I wasn’t drunk). Eventually I got over it and decided to suck it up. When I thought I could go on with my life I almost fainted when I realized that a while ago  I had already signed up for another race in October:


 

 
The Rock N Roll series race which I have been looking forward to for a while! I feared the Diva’s race would be the same day but thankfully it isn’t. That’s the good news. The scary news? They are only a week apart! Ah! Sometimes I wonder who the heck am I and what did I do with the real Mabelle.
Anyways, after my two minor panic attacks now I am kinda’ excited to set up a training plan specifically for the half as I’d love to improve my time from my first half which took place this past April (time was 2 hrs 17 mins). I subscribe to SELF magazine and this month’s issue had 12-week ½ marathon training plan in it. I think everything is aligning nicely. I may have to re-arrange it some how to make it work with the time I have left before the race but cant wait to get started with an “official” training plan. I have to confess Ive never followed a “strict” plan for any of my races. I just kinda’ go with it. We’ll see what happens this time around.
Anyways, thank you for reading.
Tell me, Have you ever signed up for two long races on the same month? How did you handle it?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment :)