Ma Bella Vita: The Meat-Less Experiment

Follow Me on Twitter!

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Meat-Less Experiment

Hello Blog world!

Hope everyone is having a good Tuesday so far. I am personally very excited that I have Thursday off (Hallelujah) I have no plans as of yet but as long as I dont have to be at work I am happy.

So, before I get in to the reasoning behind the post title, just want to share that after an awesome workout this morning (On my Jillian Michaels 30 day shred grind!)I had overnight oats (on a jar!!!) for the first time in a LONG time. I sure missed the deliciousness of granola & greek yogurt mixed together in pure harmony. So, although I call it overnight oats, there is actually no oats in there. Also, I didn't have time for the "overnight" part so lets just say I prepped it post workout and then put it in the freezer while I got ready for work. Im still calling it overnight oats 'cuz I can. And it was delicious.



So, I went to dinner with a good friend of mine the other day and we both ordered salads with the exception that she asked for no meat while I opted to add some chicken. She made a comment that she had stopped eating meat a while ago and mentioned some stuff about growth hormones and other additives, etc placed in some meats (specially low quality meat). Needless to say, our conversation left quite an impression on my mind. A couple of days later (this past weekend) I went to the beach with my sister and her friends and one of the girls in the group mentioned she had stopped eating meat and has been "meat-less" for 3 months.

I understand that for many of you not eating meat may be super normal and common amongst your group of friends, family and/or acquaintances. However, the idea of not eating meat within my circle of friends and family (specially being from a Latino background) is quite RARE! As a matter of fact, I started to think about how I really don't know anyone in my immediate family who doesn't eat meat and I can count with less than one hand the friends that I have whom are fully vegetarian.

Then, I got to thinking. In the 20-something years I have on this earth Ive never gone a week (maybe not even an entire day!) without some kind of meat. Hence, I decided that it would be quite the "adventure" maybe even a challenge for me to give up meat for an entire week.
Beginning today. I would have said starting yesterday but I remember I had some turkey cold cuts with my lunch so yesterday wont count.

Just want to clarify that "not eating meat" simply means I will be giving up any kind of chicken, pork, turkey, or actual animal meat from today until 07/09/2013. I will still allow myself to have fish, any kind of seafood, and eggs as sources of protein so, we'll see how this goes!!

Today I did pretty well during the day. Had a tuna sandwich for lunch and it was good (i'll probably be having the same lunch for the next few days.


Dinner, however, caught me by surprise my dear friends and I was not sure what I wanted to have. Then I remembered that beans (specially black beans) are loaded with proteins and I had some and so, I prepped some beans and had a bean-avocado wrap with broccoli on the side. I also had a strawberry-banana smoothie made with almond milk (not pictured). 


I know my dinner looks small but I had some more beans and another piece of avocado after that was done. I also had about 1/2 cup of gluten free pasta that was left over from the weekend.

Feeling good. Wish me luck! 

QUESTION/INQUIRY:  Need help! Please share your favorite meatless meal ideas with me!! :)

4 comments:

  1. Ekk!! No meat :) I understand where your coming from, this Latina loves her meat! There's been a day or two that I've gone without meat but a week!!

    You got this girl and I can't wait to see what you think when you get to eat meat again.

    xo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the support! So far so good. About 5 more days to go! :)

      Delete
  2. I've got no suggestions! I love me some meat. Although omelets are always a good choice, if you're into that kind of thing. Otherwise I'd probably say "cereal." I'm obviously a very good cook. I know there are a lot of delicious meat-free recipes out there; I just don't know where they are. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Love your cereal suggestion. This is tough and definitely a challenge for me. I am a meat lover myself! HAHA! but staying strong and trying to get creative. Thanks for the suggestions :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment :)