Ma Bella Vita: Blast from the 90s!

Follow Me on Twitter!

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Blast from the 90s!

This week felt good.

With the juggling of life as an "adult"; engrossed in graduate school, a full time job and following my passions I had been guilty of not keeping in touch or spending quality time with my real friends--the ones that I have been around as far as I can remember (ie: elementary school through high school). Dont get me wrong-- I have met amazing people after college whom I also value and consider REAL lifetime friends that will be around forever (Hi Lejla! :) but this post is dedicated to my "friends from the 90s" whom I had the pleasure of spontaneously meeting up with this past week. I am still missing a couple of people but I am motivated to reach out to them and spend some quality time catching up.

I have been through times in my life when I've come to realize that at the end of the day, family, friends, loved ones are the people that will always be there for you and those are the relationships that we should all nurture and maintain. I am talking about the people that will see you no different whether you are homeless or a billionaire. The ones that, even if you loose touch or stop speaking for months or even years, you're still able to pick up right where you left off and it feels like time never went by. Im about to get mushy for about half a second but I just want to point out that REAL FRIENDS and loved ones are perfectly described in one of my favorite bible verses/poems: 

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Wouldn't you agree? :)

So, as I was saying. My meet ups started this past Thursday when I met up for amazing sushi at one of my favorite sushi spots on the West Side of Manhattan: Nomado. Let me just rant for a second about how delicious their sushi is. And you better believe I've had my fare share of raw fish rolled up in rice! I dont know what they do to their sushi (I am not sure I want to know) but is so delicious. So anyways, back to regular programming--- I met up with my friend Guildia and we had an amazing time:








We had some serious girl-talk catching up on boys, work, careers, traveling, school, our upcoming birthdays, fitness, and personal finances (she calls me her financial adviser and makes it a point to tell everyone every chance she gets lol. Gotta' love her). I met Guildia in the 5th grade and went all the way through high school together! She was one of the very first people I met when I moved to NYC from the Dominican Republic back in 1993 and we've kept each other in our lives ever since. In college we kinda' went our separate ways as we attended two different state schools. However, we kept in touch and I actually talk to her through text almost every single day. I'd say that's the friend I am able to keep in contact with the most. Gotta' love technology. We also formed a "Virtual fitness group" where we motivate each other to wake up and run every other day. She recruited about 5 other girls and we're all doing great but that's a topic for another post!


Moving over to friday; after I was done with an exhausting day at work the last thing I wanted to do was go home and be bored to death (I have to note that is super rare for me to feel that way considering that I am a MAYOR homebody and any chance I get I am usually at home. relaxing.period.) Anyways, I decided to take advantage of my "random urge" to go out and ended up making plans with another good ol' friend. 




This is Yosie. Ive known her since 1995!! We met in junior high school and then parted ways after that (went to different high schools and colleges). I have to give Yosi credit that she still in my life this day. I remember in high school I went through a phase of not calling anyone much left keep in touch. However, she was one of those friends that would always call to check up on me and see what Ive been up to. As time went on, I got better but I'll never forget that she's pretty much responsible for keeping our friendship alive and strong.

Finally, this past Saturday (last night) I reunited with Dr. Christina Lopez. I have known her since 1997. We met in high school and have been very close friends ever since! I think a mayor reason why we have such a strong bond is that fact that we also went away to college to universitites that were VERY close to each other. I was constantly at her dorm and at one point I had more friends at her school then I had at my own! We kinda' transitioned in to adulthood together considering we were there for each other during those years where you go from high school-to college- to the real world (and everything that comes with each one of those phases!). We have memories to last us a lifetime and everytime we get together there is never a dull moment! Theres also never a moment when we dont recall one of our past college experiences and start just laughing about the good old days and all the fun times. 


 

 Below is us outside of the lounge at the end of the night. The other gals are Christina's younger and older sister. Ive known them for as long as I've known Christina. One of them is married (the baby) and the other one is married with a baby! We were chatting about how I was there for her (older) sister's 21st birthday. Time really does fly!

 


Christina has a PHd in education and is the only one of my friends with a doctorate degree. I am very proud of her as I remember how incredibly difficult and overwhelming those doctorate school years were for her but she did it!!! I always give her props for that.

So there you have it! It feel GREAT to catch up with good friends specially when you dont get to see them on the regular. Phone calls and texting are okay and texting usually makes our lives easier but there's nothing like actually being in the presense of the people that means so much to you!

I have a few more people on my catching-up/re-bonding radar and im looking forward to making it happen.

Cheers to an amazing upcoming week!

Tell me, how often do you catch up/see YOUR close friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment :)