Ma Bella Vita: Good Bye dear 20s!, thank you for everything :)

Follow Me on Twitter!

Friday, October 25, 2013

Good Bye dear 20s!, thank you for everything :)

Ladies and gents:  Taking an interim on my catching up posts to make a public service announcement. I was born in the 80s. 1983 to be exact :)


I went back and forth on whether I really wanted to reveal my age on the blog but then I figured that 10 years from now I'd probably wish I had shared. If anything, it could serve as a reference of how my life changed/evolved/etc over the years. So here is the announcement:


Today is my 30th Birthday :)

Me, 29 years ago:



Ok, so I wrote this post yesterday and scheduled it to pop up today on the blog. I planned to take off from work on my bday so my plans is to have brunch with a friend, get my nails done and then have dinner with family in the evening. I will let you guys know what I did over the weekend (with photos of course).


So, considering this is a 'special' post. I could outline the "highlights" of my 20s, share what I learned over the past 10 years, share what my present life looks like and/or a combination of everything. I will save the "combination" for when I write a book because it may take me a while to write such a post. Hence, I will go with the highlights.


Below are the main things that happened in the last decade (which I can remember from the top of my head).


Highlights of my 20s:

Graduated college (at the tender age of 21)- Bachelor of Science degree in business.


Got my first "official" corporate job (also at 21)


Learned the true meaning of independence!-- after graduating from college I stayed living about 3 hours away from my family. Although I went away to college and actually lived in the dorms; the transition from being a student living on campus to being a working person living on my own was an interesting experience to say the least!

Traveled, Traveled and Traveled some more! This was definitely one of most amazing things that happened during my 20s, the ability to travel!-- My dream place to visit since I was a little girl was Paris, France and I was blessed enough to cross that out of my list when I was 28 :). I absolutely loved the experience and cant wait to go back.

I may be missing a country or two but here's a quick summary of some of the places I was able to travel to: Puerto Rico, Aruba, Bahamas, Lima, Peru, Cusco, Peru (Machu Pichu), Costa Rica, Brussels, Amsterdam, Paris, London, Vancouver, Canada.

Side note: I actually made a commitment to myself in 2008 to visit one new country a year. So far so good. I think the only year I may have skipped in terms of a new country was 2010 but made up for it in 2011 (you'll see why below!). the list doesn't include the Dominican Republic since I am actually from there. I love my country more than anything but traveled there back and forth more times than I'd like to admit during my 20s. At least once a year for about 5-6 years.

Interesting Fact: 2011 was a very challenging year for me. A lot of things happened. Two major ones were loosing 2 very loved family members around the same time that I lost my job. I was also having a very hard time with school feeling as if I were going to fail all my classes (thankfully that never happened, thank god!). However, it also turned out to be a very significant year for me full of amazing transitions and life-changing experiences. It was also the one year where I traveled to a total of 5 different countries.


Amsterdam (2011):


Aruba (2011):


Paris (2011):


Bahamas (2008):


Costa Rica (2013):


London (2011):


Brussels-- beer country! (2011)


Vancouver, Canada (2012):

 also in Vancouver, Canada: Capilano Suspension Bridge.


Machu Pichu ruins Peru (2009):



Within the US: Vegas (about 4 times), Atlanta, Miami, Seattle, Washington, D.C, Albany, New Orleans, among others that I seriously cant remember.


 New orleans (2011) Bourbon street & Cafe du Monde:





Seattle, Washington- Roadtrip!! (2012):

Vegas! (2008, 2009, 2010, 2012):

I am looking forward to visiting a lot of new countries as I enter my 30s. I am very excited about it and have quite the list of places to cross out!! I don't take this for granted and truly consider it a blessing from up above that I have been able to be  to so many places!


Took my GMATs (*twice*) and got in to Business school!-- Long story with this one but I have been a part-time MBA student since the spring of 2010. The degree has its ups and downs but I will be done next year (God Willing) and I cannot be more excited to be done with that phase in my life.

Rekindled my LOVE for writing: I believe I started this blog around 2010 (is embarrassing I cant remember exactly). However, finding the "blogging world" was one of the best things that ever happened to me in my 20s. I remember that I always loved to write since I was very little. However, as I got older it seemed that I had a hard time finding outlets where I could express myself with my writing and really feel "free" to share without holding anything back. I hope that my writing continues to evolve and develop through the years-- from founding new blogs to maybe writing a book--- Its fun, therapeutic, amazing. If you write, you know that I mean.


Got Laid off for the first time in my life: After being at a job for 6 whole years (very early 20s through my late 20s) this was initially a very challenging situation for me. Sometimes your job becomes your identity (as it was the case with this particular job) so, when it was over I felt as it had been some kind of serious breakup. 

I lost my job the same exact day I had plans to go fly to Europe and I remember crying my eyes out to my friend at the airport. Well, guess what, after all the tears I realized that was the best thing that could have ever happened to me! I was not happy with the job at all but I was way too comfortable. Had that not happen, I'd probably still be there (miserable). Things immediately turned around for me and that was honestly the best thing ever! (not to mention i had severance, unemployment benefits, etc. so money was not an issue whatsoever.). Ironically, this was a positive highlight in my life and looking back, I am thankful for it. Blessings sometimes come in disguise!


Finally got myself a job in Wall Street!-- Don't ask me why but ever since I graduated college I wanted to work in Wall Street. I thought it would never happen but the universe sure has a way of surprising you when you least expect it.


Was able to save enough money to buy my own place!--- Words cannot describe how amazing it feels to have your own space, your own apartment, your own "sanctuary". I call it my perfect place because it has everything I ever wanted! The community is super clean and well kept so I never have to worry about "weird insects" (if you know what I mean), I have a running track right behind my place, my monthly payments are low, I pay no electricity. I can go on and on! love it.


Understood the incredible benefits of saving money-- I know this is something probably everyone knows but I didnt quite grasp the concept until the years passed and I realized how important this is to say the least. If you are in your 20s  right now (or even if you aren not) and your job offers 401(k) matching or any kind of retirement contribution benefits please contribute up to your companies contribution. Everything adds up. Dont forget to save! save! save! as much as you possibly can. You will never regret it.


Developed a love strong appreciation for running--- I have mentioned this in the blog before but running has become a part of my life that I have learned to truly enjoy. Specially when it comes to doing fun races with my sister and friends (which I love!). i did my first 5K when I was 25, my first 10K last December, and my first half marathon this past April 2013.


First 5K (2010):



First 10K (2012):









First Half Marathon:


Lost close family members-- this is a sad story but I lost my uncle and my maternal grandmother only a month apart back in October/November 2011. There were other stuff going on during this time so to say that this was a very difficult period in my life would be an understatement. A year later my grandfather on my father's side passed away :(


Dated, a whole lot!--- I dated a lot of guys in my 20s two of which were serious long term relationships. I would say that about 80% of the guys I dated treated me like a queen and then there was the other 20%. After all my experiences (I can probably write several posts on the subject) I finally realized that actions ALWAYS speak louder than words. ALWAYS. There is no exception to that rule. I had some amazing times but I also went through a whole lot of pain. Despite all that, I am happy to say that I am genuinely glad for everything that happened to me in the love department. I know I needed to learn many lessons and trust me, I learned every single one of them! Excited to get married in my 30s and have a little girl or two :)


Found what my two passions are--- after a series of trial and error I finally learned what makes me happy and what makes me wake up in the morning excited to start a new day. I hope I can make a career out of my passions in the very near future.

Learned that a healthy and happy weight can be achieved by eating REAL foods and making fitness fun: I learned sooooooooo much about healthy eating and fitness in the past decade I dont even know where to begin! I went from nearly starving myself in my teens (boderline anorexia) to learning the proper way to nourish myself and keep fit during my 20s (the right way). Its been an amazing road. My weight has not always been consistent but I can tell you one thing, I love and appreciate my body more than ever.

I may be missing some stuff but I will leave it at this for now.



I feel excited to be welcoming a new decade of LIFE! :)

I learned so much in the last 10 years that I would seriously have to sit down and write a book about it. This is the quick summary of it all. I can either feel sad that my 20s are over or I can be excited to start a whole new and fresh decade, alive and healthy! I choose the latter :)

Tell me, what has been the highlight in the past 10 years of your life?




2 comments:

  1. Amazing!!! Happy Birthday, and congrats on EVERYTHING you've done thus far. So many more wonderful years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU!!! Thats what I am looking forward to :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment :)