Ma Bella Vita: Mid Week Motivation 6 (fitness series): To get back on track, get back to basics

Follow Me on Twitter!

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Mid Week Motivation 6 (fitness series): To get back on track, get back to basics

Hello my lovely readers,

Happy first day of April! Make sure to watch out for any April fools jokes today. You all know how that goes! Someone already tried to get me with some "pregancy news" those seem to be popular on days like today :).

Before I continue on, just want to share my yummy dinner from last night:


Mushrooms, peppers, onions, steamed mixed vegetables, grilled chicken


So, anyways, I am here with another edition of Mid Week Motivation. I am continuing the fitness series by sharing with you all how I personally get back on my "fitness track" whenever I need that extra boost of motivation.

I dont know about you but whenever I start feeling like things are out of control, bringing myself "back to basics" always helps tremendously. I am not only talking fitness-wise but life in general. Sometimes we need to mentally, emotionally, and physically start from 'scratch' in order to reach new highs and accomplish new breakthroughs.

Today, I'll share the top five "basic" lifestyle adjustments that can help get you back on the "healthy wagon". These are tips I personally incorporate in to my fitness life. Hope they can help you as much as they've helped me through the years:

1. Write out your end goal, and some steps to achieve them: I personally take a piece of paper/journal/notebook and write out my health and fitness goals. I like to focus on the idea that in addition to "looking good" I want to feel better inside and out. I don't necessarily weight myself nor do I set any strict regimes. I simply write out a personal commitment to eat healthier, incorporate at least 30 mins of daily exercise in to my life, drink more water, and snack smarter. As time and days go by I measure my progress by how I feel, how my clothes feel, how my skin improves, how much more energy I have, and the list goes on.

2. Don't go crazy with exercise: One thing I have noticed some people like to do when they are "determined to get fitter or healthier" is that they go from not setting foot inside a gym in 6 months to wanting to work out for 2 hours straight or incorporate ridiculously exhausting exercise routines from one day to the next. In my personal opinion, this is a horrible idea. The only thing that will get accomplished is getting burnt out by the 3rd day and loosing all hopes of motivation. I personally recommend people start walking at least 30-45 minutes per day (speed walks would be best) either on the treadmill or outside. I also recommend breaking out those DVDs from your closet and finding those you feel the most motivated by. I personally gravitate towards my Gilad DVDs. 

3. Keep visual track of your daily activities: As you all know from my previous MWM post, I am a huge fan of food diaries/journals and Ive also been keeping track of my daily exercise accomplishments by using a calendar which sits in front of my desk and I see on a daily basis. I place a star each time I go to the Gym or complete a full workout. For the days I dont get to the gym I simply write out what I did-- either miles walked/jogged or whether I completed a workout DVD for the day. As you can see, March was a huge success :)



4. Be careful when grocery shopping, focus on staples: If you have been off the healthy wagon for a while, dont go crazy at the supermarket stacking up on every single healthy item you find. The reason I say this is because is important to start slow and steady in order not to get overwhelmed and end up giving up. So, for instance, do not purchase tons of vegetables, fruits, items that go bad quickly. This may not make sense but what I mean is that you should focus on maybe buying enough healthy items for the first week ahead, rather than the entire month. Buying too much "healthy stuff" at once could 'psychologically' put too much "pressure" on ourselves. You don't want to just throw in the towel and your hard earned money going down the toilet because half the items you bought went bad. 

5. Take it one day at the time, one meal at the time if necessary: Don't overwhelm yourself. Remember that fitness and a healthy lifestyle is a journey not a single destination and there will be ups and downs along the way. However, if you keep your eyes on your end goal, you'll be able to overcome any obstacle that presents itself. 

And there you have it! 

What are some changes YOU personally incorporate in to your life that help get you back on track? Doesnt have to be fitness related.

Thank you for reading.

Love,
Mabelle

1 comment:

  1. These are all great tips. I have been working on moving more and getting 10,000 steps per day. Next week, I will add another goal.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment :)